Monday 16 October 2023

Finally into the USA

WHERE ARE WE? Newhalem Washington USA

Well we are off and running again today.  It is always nice to spend time with friends but then the time comes to move along.  We have a long journey ahead of us yet and we are looking forward to it.  One of the things we see lots of as we drove south out of Oliver is fruit and wine signs.



We arrived at the border about noon.  It was only about a 15 min drive from Oliver.  The border guy was quick but the ag inspector wanted to have a look.  He came in the MH and asked me some questions.  He asked if we had any eggs and I said I wasn't sure and that if we did, they would be in the fridge.  He found some hard boiled ones, which are ok and some in a carton.  He asked if they were hard boiled and I said I don't know.  He suggested we crack one to see and it was not hard boiled so he said he had to take them.  I said fine!!  He then said he could give me a $300 fine because when asked, I told him we didn't have eggs.  Now I know I never said no, because I had no idea if we had eggs or not.  Sue had thrown out all the stuff we knew was a no go.  Anyway I could see his chest puff out a little as he strutted his power, so I just hung my head and said yes Sir.  He smiled and left with his dozen eggs.  I'm sure there will be omelets all around at his house tomorrow.  We were still out of there in 15 minutes and heading south and west.


Its kinda neat how all the snowbirds are stopped at the first grocery store south of the border stocking up on everything they had to throw out before crossing the border.  Oh yes, we did too.  We needed eggs!!!!  Lol


Our trip today took us up a couple pretty high mountain passes.  We were at about 1700 meters at one time.  


We actually went through the clouds and came out on top of them.  




And a couple tunnels.


We went through a neat little old western town.  By the time we got our communication straightened out that we should stop, we had gone through.  Something to put on the list for next time.



We stopped in a little Hydro Electric town for the night.  It seems the whole town is a company town with housing for everyone.  There is a little suspension bridge near where we parked and I didn't think anything of it until I read the little plaque near the entrance to it.  I had to laugh.  The company wanted to recognize the builder and they asked one of his kids to write the plaque.  How much prouder could one be than this kid!!!  Good job!




Apparently this town supplies the power for Seattle which is about a hundred miles away.  This train used to be used to haul supplies back and forth while they were building the dam and generating station.  Apparently it still ran in 1970. 



Here is our trip for today.  


Anyway this is where we are parked for the night.  Its along the highway but it isn't a busy one so we will be fine.  Tomorrow is another day.   Good Nite!!!




5 comments:

  1. Anything chicken related, as the Avion flu seems to be more prominent these days. We had it last year here in Ontario when we crossed. As long as it is cooked, it's OK.
    Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why can i picture you standing there hanging your head, "yes sir"? 😄 too bad about the eggs, hope he enjoyed them.
    Are you finding a noticeable difference in your travels through the mountains with your smaller rig?
    Travel safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is not a big difference between them. I am not a pedal to the metal type of guy so big power is not a big need of mine. You didn't hear what I said under my breath lol.

      Delete
  3. What? You can't bring EGGS into the U.S.? I've never EVER heard of that one. I've always had eggs in the fridge when crossing the border. Fruits and veggies, yes, but not eggs. That's crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes important people need to know we all know how important thy are! I’m happy to hear you have made it safely into the USA. Some interesting views out the window today. Safe travels.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome here or if you wish you can comment on Facebook.