Saturday 20 April 2024

We Wasted a Rainy Day by Driving

WHERE ARE WE?  Abilene Texas

We turned our travels north again today.  We have Abilene TX as our destination.


We jumped on 83 highway and will stay on it until we arrive in Virden Manitoba.  Double checked and the Jeep is following along just fine.  



It was a lovely morning but soon the temperature started to drop and the rain started.  We got to drive in the rain for about half of the trip.  This part of Texas is very pretty and the wild flowers along the ditches are amazing.



There is a lot of history in this part of Texas as well.  Lots of the old buildings have date stamps of 1880's.  And a lot of the houses are built in the southern style.



One thing that tugged at my memory today was going by a bunch or almost ripe winter wheat fields.  When I was in my late teens, I used to come south with a custom harvesting crew and we always started in Texas around the first week of May.  I still remember how exciting it was to come all the way south to Texas to begin our summers work.  We would work our way home and arrive in early September.  That's my nostalgia for now.


At one point today we actually had to turn the heat on and of course the windows all fogged up.  I had forgotten how that happens when it rains and is cool.


Sue was having a wee nap in the back when we arrived in Abilene so I just quietly drove to the Hobby Lobby parking lot.  Then I went back and woke her up.  She didn't spend much time in the store at all.  I don't think she was in the shopping mood.


We headed across the street for the night.  Did a little shopping, watched a little TV and called it a day.  Good Nite!!




2 comments:

  1. May as well drive as long as the rain isn't heavy. I find the older i get, and with this lifestyle, my shopping habits have changed.
    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear the day went well! Safe travels.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome here or if you wish you can comment on Facebook.