Tuesday 8 October 2024

We are Back on The Great River Road Today

WHERE ARE WE? Saint Francisville, Louisiana

I was up at the crack of dawn today, and after the bathroom break I went back to bed and got up around 9.  It was a cooler night last night, so we slept well.  A quick coffee, walk the dog and then I had the chore of moving the Star Link cord to a more permanent spot.  I have had it running through the slide and a couple times it has been caught up and almost tore it. So today I fed it down where all the wires go into the sewer compartment and drilled a hole and fed it to the underside of the MH.  Then it was a matter of just a matter of running the wire underneath to the back and up the pole to the dish.  Now I won't have to worry about breaking the wire.






While I was out there puttering away, the sheriff drove in with a couple pickups and out hopped a bunch of guys in striped pants.  They were there to gather up a bunch of metal rodeo fencing.  There was probably a half mile in total and the eight of them with a couple sheriffs watching picked it up and loaded it and were off in under an hour.  Wow, if we could get our government public works to work this fast, things would get done.  Oh and these guys were happy as larks, chatting away as they worked.  


So we headed back out on the adventure we began back in Bemidji, which was to follow the Great River Road all the way to the Gulf of Mexico.  We took the road less travelled down the west side of the Mississippi.  


The country we drove through was in the original flood plain of the Mississippi and is now some great farm land.  There is a levee that now holds back the river so they can use these lands for growing mainly sugar cane.  The cane is in all stages from being planted, to partially grown, to the harvestable plant.  




These are trailers full that come from the field ready to dump in trucks.


All along the road there were lots of control structures to guard against flooding, I think in case of a hurricane.  The Corps of Engineers have been a busy bunch.  Lots of concrete and great big cranes to lift the flood gates.  








We went across 1 set of locks where the barges pass through.  Nope there were none there at the time.


When we got close to Saint Francisville, we crossed the John James Audubon Bridge.  It is a long suspension bridge and was put in place in 2012. Pretty impressive structure.




Before that there was a couple ferries to carry traffic across the Mississippi.  They are not there anymore, but I got a picture from the internet.


So we are parked in the old ferry landing.  Not much going on here.  It will be a great place to spend the night. 



This was our route today.


So we went for a wee drive and I found a couple things to share.  First we went shopping and I found a big tin of Bushes Beans.  It was like 10 normal cans worth.  I would hate to be in the same house as the guy that buys this.


And they are having an election for a new Mayor!!  Old Leaky Boobee!!  Yup sure want to vote for him!!!  Oh its Bobee.  Well not in my mind it aint!!  He will probably be a great Mayor, but I hope he doesn't have to do National TV interviews.  Ok I will leave it there, but I am still snickering.


We don't get a sunset here so this is as good as it gets.  Good Nite!!




2 comments:

  1. Those suspension bridges truly amaze me too!
    Glad you are back on track. The sugar came picture reminds me of our Barbados vacation years ago. A young bit was walking along the road with a piece of sugar cane, about 3' long. He was eating it. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should proofread first. A young boy not bit.lol

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome here or if you wish you can comment on Facebook.