Sunday 11 June 2023

A Tour of Cj's Kitchen

WHERE ARE WE? Rivers Provincial Park, Rivers Manitoba

Archie and I went to town a couple times to get things for the shack.  He is getting a lot better at riding with me and doesn't bark as much at weird things along the way.  He does still bark at a motorcycle or a dog.  He will get it in time.

come on dad, lets go!!!

We are going to bring the Ponderosa down to the shack and park it close to Percy.  This will allow us to go through the stuff in the Ponderosa and pick out the stuff we need to keep and to sort out the stuff we can get along without.  In order to get the MH in the right place, I had to trim a few branches off the pine tree.  Yes I made sure I placed the ladder on the right side of the branch.

careful on the ladder

the branches kinda get in the way

So around 6 pm I said to the girls in the shack that tonight should not be too busy so I was going to the baseball game.  

not the best seat in the house

I watched an inning when my phone buzzed and it was Taylor saying that they had got slammed.  So I hurried back to the shack and helped them with all the orders.  Here are some pictures of our kitchen in action.  I was even there!!!  My job was cooking fries.

Taylor, our assistant kitchen manager

mustard, relish and ketchup for this one

The prep table

We blanch our fries for three minutes before final cooking

heres your ice cream cone!!

before and after

Of course there are always dishes to do and that chore goes to the newest employee.  Jorja was it tonight!!!


We finally got caught up after a couple hours and there was nobody at the window anymore.


I should show you our ice cream freezers and how we identify where each ice cream is.  Here is our ice cream station.  We have a blue freezer and a white freezer.   It sort of helps finding a particular flavour.  We soon figure out if a flavour is a blue lid or a white lid.




We also have all the flavours written on the freezer to help out as well.



We also have ice cream stored in the back freezer that are duplicate flavours of the ones in the front freezer.  We keep a list of what is in the back freezer so we know if we have more of a flavour when a pail runs out.  We also write down any flavours that we run out of to make the ordering process easier for me.  I am normally the ice cream orderer.



We have a large storage freezer in the back that holds all of our inventory.  It has pickles, perogies, chicken fingers, onion rings, hamburger, cheese curds, wings and buns.  We probably have close to $10,000.00 inventory at right after our order comes on Thursday.  



And then there is our fry station.  This is where we cut and wash all the home cut fries.  These are a trademark of Cj's and people come from miles around to have them.  We go through lots of them every day.  The picture reminds me that I am supposed to paint any of the wood mounts that the fry cutter is mounted on!!!  Its on my list....honest!!!


Its always good to see that the little written notes are taken seriously.  Obviously whoever cut these fries saw the note!!! Good Job!!


So as the sun fades and the last order is put on the warming tray ready for customer pickup, I'm going to fade off into the sunset as well.  It's been a long day and there is another one tomorrow.  Lots of people to meet and lots of ice cream to scoop!!! Good Nite!!!





2 comments:

  1. Good tour thro the shop! Reminds me of a "shack" I worked at as a kid. Good traing ground...maybe even better traing than McDonalds as it's a "fly by the seat of your pants" kind of place where you learn everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tour! Lots happening in that kitchen. Sure must be so pleased with the expansion.
    Unicorn Toot? How popular is that?? 😅

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome here or if you wish you can comment on Facebook.