Thursday, 8 October 2026

Houston, We Have Lift Off!! Day 1

WHERE ARE WE? Minot, North Dakota

Well we didn't get on the road as early as we had hoped for and that was my fault.  I had a few more things to do than I had allowed time for.  We got everything put away, locked up, power off, water off and drained, truck put away and ole yeller the storage van locked for the winter.  Oh yes we had to get the yellow jeep put in the shed too.  Whew!!!!  We finally pulled out about 3 pm with a stop in Brandon for fuel and to buy a new light cord plug at Princess Auto.  I hate that place cause I went in for 1 thing and came out with seven things.

Archie approved of our travels today.

So we only made it to Minot today but really that isn't much less than we anticipate travelling.  We are hoping to keep the days between 300 and 400 kms.  I know, I know, we get carried away sometimes, but sometimes the road is the happiest place to be and some days so we just keep rolling.  


A little story of our border crossing.  We always treat any border crossing with the greatest respect and try to make sure we don't have anything in RRV that is against the rules. We carefully went through all our food and threw out anything that didn't meet the restrictions.  Well we pulled up to the US customs and a Border Agent met us at the window.  I gave him our passports and this was the conversation.  
Agent: Where do you live?
Me: Rivers Manitoba
Agent; Any fruits or vegetables?
Me: No
Agent: Where are you heading to?
Me: Mexico
Agent: How long will you be there?
Me: Mid April
Agent: How long will you be in transit in the USA
Me: We plan to cross into Mexico, October 23
Agent: (hands back passports)  Have a great winter!!!
Me: Thanks
And we were off.  Less than a minute.  I'm not sure what people are scared of because if you answer the questions with truthful answers, there is nothing to worry about.  I know, I know, I still get to wondering if there is something I forgot and I will get in trouble, but most times the worry is in vain. First sign we saw going down the road was "We love Canadians!!!"


Coming into Boissevain/Dunseith Customs

Our route today.  We are stopped at Walmart for the night stocking up on fruits and vegetables!! LOL


Now a little photo dump of what we have been up to since last post.

We took a little trip to spend a weekend with our friends Ken and Rhonda in there new house in Saskatoon.  We had a nice relaxing weekend, watched some baseball, ate, played some games, ate, watched some football, ate, toured the city and ate again.  Thanks for your hospitality!!


Saw this business sign along the way.  This is what you call "Value Added!!"


We did a little sewer work at the shack to relocate the connection to the back of the shack.  Should stop all the plug ups.




Had some issues with the starter on Ole Yeller so rather than waste a bunch of time trying to fix it, Sheri and I hooked on to it and towed up to our friend Cindy's place for the winter. 


Sheri seemed to enjoy being the puller.

Dani has started her career as a cosmetologist in Brandon.  She is ready for anyone who needs some care.


She has her own apartment now, and invited Gramma and I for supper before we left. She knows I love roast beef and she does as well, so roast and Yorkshire pudding with mashed potatoes and broccoli was on the menu.  It was fantastic.


And there was pie, with whipped cream.



And we played a few games of cards none of which I won.


We moved the Ponderosa to Irwin and Wanda's for the winter and Grace and Max rode with me.  It wasn't long and he was out!!!  The big ole motorhome is soooo comfy going down the road.


Great big combine for a little guy.





They did feed us dinner in the field but I didn't take any pictures.  My bad.  It was delicious.

Sheri came and spent the last weekend with us and slept up on the magic bed.  This is her 42 year old blankee that she got as a baby and she still uses it to snuggle with every night!!!  I'm not sure how much more life is left in that thing!!!



Well its been a short summer but it is over and now all Sue and Archie have to do is wait for me to get my chores done and hit the road.  Then we get a whole winter of chillaxin.  Good Nite!!!




2 comments:

  1. It's cute to see Archie so comfy. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels !!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome here or if you wish you can comment on Facebook.