Saturday 20 May 2023

Music in the Park

WHERE ARE WE? Rivers Provincial Park, Rivers Manitoba

Every good day begins with coffee in my world.  Such was my day today.  The weather has been cool and this morning was no exception, however the bulk of the day was quite enjoyable.


Every day involves loading some wood and selling it.  Sometimes I grab a couple of the girls from the shack to help loading but this time it was just me.  I only filled it half full because when I sell this, the girls will be here to help.  I sell about a truck load a day on the weekends.  In total I sell about 30 cords of wood a season.



Today is our first "Music in the Park" for this season.  Music in the Park came from the covid summer when there was nothing to do because of all the restrictions.  We decided to kind of bypass them a wee bit and it seemed that people were more relaxed to interact in a park setting.  So I invited a couple musicians to come play on a Saturday night and the people came running to take it in.  They just brought lawn chairs and social distanced or not.  Live music was not available anywhere else really so our crowds grew.  We have only had to cancel 1 performance because of rain in the 3 seasons this has been going.  


We don't have high expectations for the first night of the season but there were still about 40 people came to enjoy the tunes.  


Dave Oakey (who plays a circuit in Mazatlán Mexico all winter) is the host and piano man, and he brought an old friend of ours Terry Mayer to pick the strings.  Terry has not played publicly in a long time but he caught on real quick.  Murray Kernahan joined us as well with his new Taylor guitar.  We had a great couple hours listening to jazzy blues, classic rock and some nice ballads.  As the summer goes on, more musician will join us I'm sure.


Such was our Saturday at Cj's.  It is always interesting seeing all the old friends that we see each summer.  We do have a few missing but I'm sure they are tapping their toes up there.  Good Nite!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome here or if you wish you can comment on Facebook.