Saturday 6 January 2024

3 Kings Day and Tamales

WHERE ARE WE? Numero UNO RV Park, La Penita, Nayarit, Mexico

I got the universal joint and drive shaft back for my Jeep today so went to work in the morning and put it back together.  The welder guy did a good job on it and saved me a lot of grief sourcing it myself.  Ken gave me a hand putting it back on.





After lunch we headed over to abuela's house for 3 Kings Day celebration.  They had the traditional Rosca de Reyes which is a bread with little statues of Jesus baked in it.  If you get one in your slice, you have to supply Tamales on February 6.  We found 4 of them so will have lots of Tamales on the 6th.





Speaking of Tamales, I have never had one.  So today they had some there and we tried a couple.  Mmmmmm good.  I think I like tamales!!  They are cooked in a corn husk and you unwrap them and eat them.  No idea what they are made of but they are good.




Tomorrow is Birria day at Abuela's house.  She makes the best Birria in Mexico.  She cooks it on an open wood fire in big pots and she showed us what Menudo and Birria look like.  I don't think Menudo is for me.  


Menudo

Birria

We didn't stay too long and when we got home the guy was there cutting down the coconuts from our trees.  It is always interesting to watch them do their work.





Having him up in one of our trees as the sun was going down made for a different sunset shot.  We had a great day and hope you did too!!  Good Nite!!








2 comments:

  1. Another fun day. You folks will need a couple of days to recover when the kids go home! Lol

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you haven't had tamales after all your time there! Good for you trying them.
    Love the sunset picture with the coconut man. ☺️

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome here or if you wish you can comment on Facebook.