Saturday 4 November 2023

Oh What Shall I Do?

WHERE ARE WE? Government Wash, Las Vegas, Nevada

Anyone who has spent time in the southwest knows that the desert attracts a wide variety of people either living or just spending a weekend fishing and camping.  Because of that variety there are lots of different types of RV's.  I think one day when I get to Quartzsite, I will spend some time getting pictures of some of the elaborate set ups.  Thats for another day.  Today when Archie and I were out walking I saw a couple of different ones.  Some people come here because they are snowbirds and its too warm south of here, so they are just hanging out here and maybe spending so time in Sin City making their fortunes.  This is a pretty nice one to be out in the desert.


And another one just down from it is an 80's model that has got a flat gray paint job.  This one is lived in out here and he just moves from place to place to keep from getting kicked out.  There is a 15 day limit here.


And there were quite a few fishing boats out on the lake.  They say they catch Stripers and Bass and 7 varieties of Cat Fish.  I heard it from a fisherman so it has to be true!!!  Like Facebook!!!


I did take on one small project today.  Some of the cupboard doors do not have those shocks on them to keep them open and it is annoying having to hold it open while you put stuff in or out.  I had ordered them a while back on Amazon so it was time to put them on  Good Job Me!!!


So yesterday I found some TV dinners at Walmart for $1.50 so I bought one and had it for lunch.  Not gourmet but ok none the less.  I would buy some more when we visit Walmart again.  No tummy ache after anyway!!!


And I have to insert a little solar talk in the post like I promised.  Gonna throw this out there for my tech friends who have solar already.  I have been researching batteries and here are my thoughts.  I have had good luck with both 6 and 12 volt wet cell batteries in the past but I don't want to deal with checking fluid levels and spills, and corrosion so I have ruled out wet cells.  


Next on the list is AGM's because they are maintenance free.  Now the VMax 12V 155AH AGM has been highly recommended so I was looking at getting 4 of them which would be about 600 AH's for like $1400 and maybe ramping up to 6 if 4 doesn't meet out requirements.  So they are in the $350 range so 4 would be $1400 ish.  But the kicker is that they weigh 90 lbs a piece!! 4 would be 360 lbs and 6 would be 540 lbs.  Thats heavy and I would start to worry about where to put them that would withstand that kind of weight.  


So for years I have said I would never buy Lithium because I will not live long enough to wear a set out.  Well they say 8 to 10 years!!  Buuuuut here is the thing.  I can buy 2 - Lithium 12v 230AH batteries for $650 ish each which is $1300 for the pair.  We would start with 2 of them for a total of 460AH and see if they meet our needs.  I have done some research and the Li Time Lithium batteries have some good reviews.  The big thing is that they weigh 45 lbs each which would be 90 lbs total!!   We could add another one if we needed it and keep it under 150 lbs total.  So if you look at the number, the cost is relatively the same as AGM's if you compare AH's.  So what to do.  I think the weight and room needed is far on the side of Lithium.  I can tuck these away in a space which will accommodate them easily and if we get another there is room for it too.  Sooo I think tomorrow we will order the lithiums!!  Thats it for solar talk ladies!!! You can open your eyes again!!!
I shouldn't say that cause I know some ladies that could give me a lesson in these kinds of things.  

Archie was just bored with all of it!!


So once again the day came to a close.  The sun sets here about 6:30 and with the time change tonight, tomorrow it will set about 5:30.  That makes for a long evening especially when you are not with friends having a bonfire or something.  Maybe we get to Quartzsite we can have a little more night (evening) life!  The sunset was spectacular again.  The actual sunset was nice, but about 10 minutes later the sky turned crimson red.  Good Nite!










6 comments:

  1. Yep, probably lithium is the way to go. Too bad the $CAD sucks so bad right now. The exchange rate is going to hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorne, I said the same thing, but just ordered 3 lithium batteries, by Power Queen. My brother in law has the li- time batteries that you show. Just make sure that they have low temperature cut off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorne, this is Bill, "On Our Way" the comment below, I agree with, but if you get batteries with the low temperature cut off, you don't need to get the ones that have the self heating.
      Yes the converter needs to be able to charge lithium batteries, if the one you already have doesn't, you can buy a separate lithium battery charger, this is what I have done, our converter quit working all together. Also the charge controller for the panels needs to be for lithium batteries.

      Delete
  3. A couple of things about lithium to consider, because you travel where temperatures get close to or below the freezing mark you really should consider the self heating lithium batteries, otherwise you could end up damaging the entire battery bank. For the slight difference in price I think it’s worth it. I currently have a self heating 100 ah lithium battery waiting to be installed and next year will add a 200 ah self heating battery to the mix. According to my nephew ( master electrician), the batteries do not have to be the same AH , just the same voltage. You can install lithium batteries in various positions, on end, on its side, you can even stack them but they CANNOT be placed UPSIDE DOWN. Also you can use pretty much all of the power in most lithium batteries without hurting them, unlike the other battery types. You also need to ensure your charge controller is lithium capable!

    The frozen dinner just did not look appealing. Lol. I’m glad you liked it though.
    I’m always surprised at what I see out here in terms of rigs. It’s interesting for sure.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. With the AGM batteries you only get to use 50% of the AH. With lithium batteries you get to use 80-90% of the AH. In our eyes more efficient and more charge cycles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WE have had our lithium batteries for 4 years now and wouldn't go back for anything

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome here or if you wish you can comment on Facebook.